Motivation is something which most of us need now and again but too many of us simply don’t have. Whether you need the motivation on writing a book, working out and the gym or cooking at home more for a healthy diet; it can be a challenge.
This is why today we are going to talk about those little ways we can motivate ourselves to be better and to do more this year, and hopefully by the end of the post you’ll be ready to go out and be productive.
1. Just Do ItThe slogan of a particular activewear manufacturer is one which we can actually use to our advantage when trying to stay motivated in every day life. The more you sit and think about doing something, the bigger it builds up in your mind and then the harder it is to find the motivation to do it. This is one of the main things which stops us from doing a workout or eating a salad at lunch because we are overthinking things and making them feel like a big deal. In order to keep ourselves motivated it is always a good idea to just open up your notebook and start writing or get out of bed and stretch right away. If you do things without thinking too much this will have a big impact on your ability to succeed.
2. Start SmallThe main thing which can make it hard for us to succeed and to get up and work is the scale of the achievement we want to make. For example, if you have the aim to write a book, this can seem like a huge challenge and therefore it is good to break it out into smaller tasks. One day might be to create a character and flesh out their personality; the next might be to describe the scenery in a particular scene in perfect detail… dividing the book into smaller chunks can make it much easier for you to do.
3. Avoid ProcrastinationProcrastinating is the enemy of success. If there is anything getting in the way of you succeeding it is the lure of leaving it until tomorrow. You need to start forcing yourself out of the habit of procrastinating and this will help you be much more productive in the long term. It is hard to get up and go when we have no energy or willpower but if you fight through it for the first few moments it will become easier and usually once you are up and about you’ll be fine! Just get started and the rest will follow.
4. Reduce DistractionsIt is very easy to be distracted from your goals. It could be the TV distracting you from revision, your friends distracting you from work or even the lure of the sofa distracting you from going to the gym. Whatever the issue is, it is important for you to try and reduce distractions when you are in the middle of something important. It can be hard at first but once you cut them out it will make your life much easier.
5. Be accountableIf you want to stay motivated to do well and ensure that you don’t fall off the wagon, you need to be held accountable for your actions. Make sure that no matter what your goal is, you have someone there to tell you that you are slacking and to make sure you are doing what you are supposed to. Friends and family and your partner can be great for this, and even work friends depending on what it is you are trying to achieve.
6. Get Motivation Your Loved OnesYour loved ones will always be behind you no matter what you do and they will be the ones who are able to show you the motivation you need to do well and succeed. Your family and friends will always want the best for you and whether it be a step up in your career or a weight loss goal they will cheer you and give you all the help you need.
7. Get Motivation from Strangers
One of the good things about being on the internet these days is that people can get together and talk about anything. No matter whether you know someone or not, you can talk to them about a workout plan or a diet and they will help you stay motivated as they will be doing the same thing at the same time. Joining a group on Facebook can be a great way to stay motivated because you will want to join everyone else and make sure that they are doing well too.
8. Play Upbeat MusicIf you need some motivation for any piece of work or a workout the best thing you can do is play video game music. This music is made specifically to pep people up and get them in the mood to be productive and this can be a great way to help you stay on track with your project.
9. Find OptimismNo matter what the day throws at you try and find a reason to smile. Life can be hard and it is difficult for you sometimes to be able to succeed when you feel low. The key is to see the bright side of things and always think about the good that will come out of you doing this task.
10. Be Kind to YourselfThere will be days when you do absolutely nothing and days where you fall behind. You are only human and life can make it difficult for you to cope sometimes. If you do have a bad day and nothing gets done make sure that you don’t punish yourself for it. You are more than allowed to make the odd mistake and it doesn’t mean that it is the end of the world. Just start again tomorrow and be happy about it!
This article is a partnered post that contains affiliate links.